Is this an ameracuana egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tgrant, Nov 17, 2013.

1. tgrant

tgrant Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    I have 3 ameraucana chickens that are almost 8 months old and am not sure if this is an egg from one of them or not. I have not seen any other colored eggs besides brown/cream from my hens. I also have red stars, black stars, New Hampshire red, barred rocks.

What do you think? The amercaunas should be laying by now right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    True Ameraucanas lay blue eggs and no other color. Now if you have EEs then that egg could be from them.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ameraucanas can be rather late to start laying. I would guess your girls have just not started laying yet because of a combination their breed and the time of year with the shortening daylight hours. Though, while they should hopefully lay blue-green eggs, some will unfortunately lay brown, but with actual Ameraucanas that is not that common.

4. tgrant

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you for the replies. I bought the chicks at agadvantage farmer supply. I am thinking the are EE.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your Easter eggers have straight combs, that could well be one of their eggs.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If they came from a farm supply company they are going to be Easter Eggers, a lot of them will lay brown eggs, I've had up to about 50% of EEs from some hatcheries lay brown. EEs can really vary on when they start to lay, so it is still possible none of them have started yet, so hopefully you will still get some green eggs.

7. tgrant

Sep 15, 2013
    My guess is that they had not started laying because I got my first green egg yesterday and one today:) I'm so excited!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by