Is this an Ameracuana or an EE or what? *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinszoo, Nov 4, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    This bird came as an extra in our last shipment of birds and I posted pics when she/he was just a few days old but the older it gets, the prettier it seems to be. Someone told us that it looked like a Silver Ameracuana but I'm leaning towards mutt bird. Here are several pics. She/he definitely has a pea comb and slate blue legs. She's bigger than our other chicks of the same age. My kids call her the "hawk" bird because she has lots of brownish red coloring mixed in with the black and white/gray. And can anyone tell whether this is a male or female?

Here she/he is at two days old.
    [​IMG]

Here's the face and head at 6 1/2 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Here's the blue slate feet.
    [​IMG]

And two of her back and side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another full front view.
    [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    He's an Easter Egger, if you got him from a hatchery.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Male EE. Hatcheries love to throw those in as the "special" chick. They are almost universally male and no hatchery ever has show quality AM's. For one thing, all colors run together, even if all the features add up, the colors won't.

Also, what color is the underpad of his foot?? "Slate" or black looking legs aren't really indicative of skin color. If the underside has a greenish or yellowish tinge, the skin color isn't white, it's yellow, which is wrong for AM's.

Also, in his chick pic his legs are green, which also tells you about his yellow skin, even though more pigment has accumulated as he's aged.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Easter egger roo...

5. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:So to be an AM they have to have white skin, not yellow, correct???

6. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:Why roo? Just curious so I can learn what to look for ... We've been suspecting it's a roo anyway but I want to know how to tell in the future.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    ..he looks like a dude?

Specifically, his comb is huge for 6.5 weeks, and male EEs often have a three-row pea comb.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That's correct, AM's should have white skin. But, if they are just for fun, it doesn't really matter.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    He's an EE roo. You can tell that he's a male by his coloring. There is a wonderful thread in this particular forum that helps you tell gender for EEs by color. The short explanation is that a female would have those 'wild type' feathers pretty solidly over her body, not just in patches. Roos tend to color in willy nilly and in different patches.

He'll be gorgeous when he's done feathering, and may throw chicks who lay green or blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by