Is this an ameraucana rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ibunnytail, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ibunnytail

ibunnytail Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]

Hi guys, can anyone identify this roo for me? I've been told that he's an ameraucana.

2. ALEXHEATH87

ALEXHEATH87 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017

3. ALEXHEATH87

ALEXHEATH87 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    That is definitely an Ameraucana.

4. ibunnytail

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    big thanks! I'm worried he might be mix or something. I'm trying to breed him with my crested cream legbar and cuckoo Maran

5. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like a brown red Ameraucana to me. Always a chance there's a little something else in there depending on where you got him. Sounds like a fun mix... Sex linked blue layers, I'm intrigued. I'd definitely follow a thread about such a project!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Only difference I can see from him and a Brown Red Ameraucana is that yours has red primary wing feathers and a Brown Red should have black primarys.

7. AshlyMommaWard

I noticed that too, the brown red color isn't as common in my part of the US, so I was giving the benefit of the doubt that his breeder just doesn't have the color quite right.. I should've checked op's location first I suppose.
    If he is indeed mixed and technically an Easter egger I'd still use him for such a project as mentioned above, personally.
    The source of the bird could give some hints, maybe.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Oh I agree, he'd be a good candidate for a brown red breeding flock.

9. ibunnytail

Dec 30, 2015
    California
    Thanks guys for your opinions! I'm fairly new to breeding chickens and got a lot to learn! I'm trying to learn through experience. If he's an EE, wouldn't that mean he may carry the brown egg gene? And his offsprings may lay green instead of blue?

10. AshlyMommaWard

"If", yes. If he's an ee he's carrying a brown egg gene. As he is pea combed you know he's at least also carrying blue. Crossing him over blue hens should still lend a higher percentage of blue than green laying daughters, that is if you've got correct egg color in your cream Legbar, mine laid green even though she was show quality. With the cuckoo marans cross however, you'll get a better olive egger when crossing green to chocolate rather than blue to chocolate (again, only if egg color is good with the hens). If you got him from a breeder, you can always try to get more information (actual parentage, egg color hatched out of, etc). A dedicated breeder should know those answers.
    Side note, had a "project" color Ameraucana that laid pristine blue eggs, she was not of an accepted, or even common color, but had been bread by strategically mixing pure Ameraucanas.. this could be a similar occurance in your cockerel. Many people, like myself, are put off by the select accepted colors for Ameraucana and choose Easter eggers instead, yet some choose to work with what they've got for a more unique bird with a reliably blue egg.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by