1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this an ameraucana??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abelseville, Jan 13, 2010.

1. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    We have a rooster that came out of last summers hatch that we kept only because he is so beautiful. Now im thinking about breeding him and would like some advise from the byc experts!

Best bet is ameraucana but I hatched lots of ameraucana X bc marans crosses also for olive eggers. Would that be considered a single comb? Does this mean he won't have the blue egg gene? What would you call that color pattern? Help please......
    [​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Can't answer any of your questions .. but he is stunning! [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow- he is gorgeous! I think he would be considered an olive egger or EE. He is less likely to pass on the blue egg gene because of the comb- but could probably have the olive egg potential. I bet if you cross him back to Ameracauna hens you'd get some super nice olive eggers. Crazy color- like silver on top of blue wheaten!

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    comb has nothing to do with egg color, but he is an EE

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    He is definately an EE, not an Ameraucana....look at his wattles. No beard.

Since you said you hatched out alot of olive eggers, then that is what he is an Olive Easter Egger LOL!

Handsome as he looks!

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Ee

7. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    Quote:I thought I understood from the olive egg threads Ive been reading that the blue egg gene was associated with a pea comb?

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I thought I understood from the olive egg threads Ive been reading that the blue egg gene was associated with a pea comb?

EEs can have any type of comb.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

EEs can have any type of comb.

You are correct- the pea comb is closely tied to the blue egg gene. He still has the potential to pass it on though- but your best bet would be to breed him to another EE or Olive egger to increase your odds. He has a pea-combed parent so he could pass that on as well.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:EEs can have any type of comb.

You are correct- the pea comb is closely tied to the blue egg gene. He still has the potential to pass it on though- but your best bet would be to breed him to another EE or Olive egger to increase your odds. He has a pea-combed parent so he could pass that on as well.

If you see a single comb, the bird doe NOT have the pea comb gene (or the rose comb gene, either). There is about a 3% chance that a bird will inherit the pea comb and not the blue egg gene (or vice versa) from its parent (assuming that the parent has both). Once that crossover is made it is just as hard to reintegrate them within the same bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by