Is this an Americana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jolyn, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    My friend needed me to take her chick. She got it from her daughters teacher when they hatched them in the classroom. Not sure what it is....It does have green legs....It doesn't really look like my other two Americanas...is that how you spell it? Americana?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It could be an Easter Egger, but beardless, like some hatch out on occasion. It's not an Ameraucana (note spelling).

3. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:what is the difference between an Easter Egger and an Ameraucana? Thanks for the spelling.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  5. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks scrapmom....It appears that I have Easter Eggers too and not Ameraucanas like i had thought. Thanks for the link.

6. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:what is the difference between an Easter Egger and an Ameraucana? Thanks for the spelling.

Funny thing is it's spelled correctly in my signature. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, that's okay, Jolyn. Sounds like me sometimes. You did spell it right in your sig line! Easter Eggers are nice birds, too.

8. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    The difference between Easter Egger and Ameracuna is that Easter Eggers are a mix of Ameracuna and something else but they still lay colored eggs. The Ameracuna breed was almost lost and so pure Ameracuna's are fairly rare. Hatcheries advertise easter eggers as ameracuna's but they're not really. You have to go to a breeder to get a true ameracuna. Also, ameracunas only lay blue and green eggs. Easter Eggers can lay blue, green, and pink. Pink eggs is because they were mixed with a brown egg laying chicken.

Sorry if I spelled ameracuna wrong. You know what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by