is this an Americauna pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mekare, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    I'm making an individual post for each of my chicks. The first paragraph on this post explains the background a bit.

'Merica was 2 weeks old when we got her. She was about half baby feathers and half big kid feathers. She was said to be an Americauna but that may not be correct. The day we got her she had 3 little feathers standing up on the top of her head. Those three little feathers grew and recruited some friends and it's now a full blown mohawk that gets bigger every day! She's the best flyer in the group. She's growing by leaps and bounds. She didn't like being handled much at the beginning but is warming up to us. She seems to be covered almost entirely in big kid feathers now and at three weeks we started to notice long, whitish, superfine feathers all down her neck. Do you think she's Americauna and if so what's her mix? Also, do you think she's a she? Thank you :)

[​IMG]
    Two weeks old (homecoming day)

[​IMG]
    Two weeks (back right)

[​IMG]
    Three weeks

[​IMG]
    Three weeks

[​IMG]
    Four weeks (check out that fancy doo!)

[​IMG]
    Four weeks (reaching over the other two)

2. It's very hard to say. She is not a pure breed Ameraucana, but she may still lay blue/green eggs. That crest throws me off!

3. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    Thank you. I know. I tried looking at pics online of different breeds to get some guesses but I couldn't find anything with those markings AND a crest. You think she's a girl?

4. Yes, I would say pullet. The comb looks very pale, and the bird just looks pullety!

5. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    Haha, I like that word ... pullety. :)

6. [​IMG]

7. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    Could she be part Golden Polish or is that wishful thinking?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you know where the chicks came from? Unless it was a hatchery, personally I'm thinking you have some barnyard mix birds.

9. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    I don't know where the girl bought them.

10. flockmomma

flockmomma Chirping

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    Does that comb have multiple ridges? Not a pea comb like my EE and such have, that is for sure. What kind of comb would that be called? It is so pointy, not a straight comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: