Is this an Americauna? Very curious.

ButtersMama

Songster
11 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Sorry no pics. I bought what was to be 5 Americaunas pullets. They are 9-10 weeks old now. One is an Americauna rooster which I gave back to the lady who I ordered with last week. She has a large farm and took him. My last 4 all look fairly the same. Same colored legs, brown and black feather color. 3 have puffy, fluffy cheeks. One does not - not at all. All have that hawk like look. All have almost no combs. Other than the puffy/fluffy cheeks, they look exactly the same.

Does anyone know if Americauna's can have NO fluffy/puffy cheeks?

Thanks for your time pros :)

a pic would be better but by the sound of it they seem to be EE;s

Ameraucanas only come in a few select colours

and black and brown suggest typical EE

btw what comb do they have it should be a pea comb for both EE and Ameracuana

oh an AMs have fluffu puffy cheeks usually

EE on the other hand will have them too but EE are known not to at very rare occasions

Lastly im not an expert just relaying what I have read and sort of know

Last edited:
Pic would really help, but from what you said it dosent sound like they are ameraucanas. LIke silverfox0786 only certain color are accepted. These colors are blue, black, white, buff, wheaten, blue wheaten, brown red, and silver. Ameraucanas do have beards. Easter Egger are supposed tohave beards also, but occasionaly you get some that don't have one. I have one hen that dosen't have one. Also are your chicks legs green? If so then they are not an ameraucana, because ameraucanas have slate colored legs. It would also be helpful too know what kind of comb they have. Ammeraucana have pea combs. EEs are supposed to also, but I have one with a single comb. I have not raised chicks of all the varietys I listed before, but I am pretty sure there are no ameraucana chicks that have brown and black feather, but am not 100% sure.

My guess would be EE (easter egger) If you could get pics up I would be able to tell for sure.

Thank you so much Silver. I didn't realize that there was a difference between EE's and Americaunas. I just thought they were the same but with a couple different ways to call it. They definately look the same except that cheek...so you may be right. The lady/farmer/TSC manager who I ordered them with called them both names. I think they are EE's.

Thanks for taking the time for me.

most people do think they are the same, it is a common mistake.i has some EEs that i used to think were ameraucanas and then found out they werent. Then from there got some real ameraucanas and tryed to learn as much as i could about them. The only thing i didnt research was genetics because i dont really understand genetic in humans or chickens or anything else for that matter! lol! I also forgot to say thy ameraucanas lay blue eggs and EEs can lay blue,pink, or green. Really the major differences between the two are feather color, leg color, egg color, and EEs dont always have pea comb and beards but ameraucanas do.

If you have any questions just ask and i would be glad to anwser!

Back
Top Bottom