Is this an Ancona?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jarcoo0153, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Do you think its an Ancona?
    I know it is a rooster, but still can't decide what breed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Where did you get it from ? I would say it is definitely a mottled colored bird like Anconas, but it could be other mottled breeds to unless you know more about how to narrow down the possibilities.

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I got it from Ideal-Poultry. I know that they sell anconas, so I thought maybe it might be one.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the black and yellow ones in the box are anconas. is yours standard size? if so then I think it is a possibility it is....do they sell exchequer leghorns? mine all have some sort of dot on their head where yours doesnt', not sure if they all look like mine did...
    I just looked at their website and they do indeed sell exchequer leghorns, might have to wait and see although the only thing I think I think is differernt between the two is the ancona are more black than white. Both breeds have yellow legs and have big single combs...might have to wait and see
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Well I Hope It is either of those two breeds, I like them both! It is a standard. He is always alert and active. I put my hand in the box, and he runs toward it and all the others run away. I guess I won't know for sure until he is older! Thanks for the help![​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well Ideal also sells Mottled Javas and that may be what he is.

Here are some of my Mottled Java chicks
    [​IMG]

7. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Here's a pic of my exchequer leghorn.
    [​IMG]

Group shot among other breeds:
    [​IMG]

What makes you think your chick is a rooster? I think it's way too early to tell.

8. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I ordered 10 surprise roosters and he is one of them. All the hens I ordered I could Identify.

9. flower

flower Songster

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I received and order today from Ideal and besides those that I ordered, I received five that look like this

[​IMG]

I returned to their site to see what I could see and think that mine are one of their very own Breeds called Production Blacks. Because in the formula for Production Blacks includes a barred variety and my chicks remind me of Dominique Chicks and because they are not marked sold out !

10. flower

flower Songster

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Quote:My vote says that yours are Anacona.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: