Is this an Aracauna? Americauna? Neither?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foxyloxy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. foxyloxy

foxyloxy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Hey everyone.. I got this pretty girl from the feed store and she was labeled as an Aracauna. I looked at my receipt later and it said "Americauna". So I was wondering which she is? Or if she's really neither?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    A cross called Easter Egg(er) Chicken or as most call a EE. EEs can lay Blue/Green and other color eggs. Here are two of my girls. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Almost all Feedstores and Hatcheries falsely call them Americanas, Ameraucanas, or Araucanas - She's neither, but instead a crossbred chicken commonly called an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

4. foxyloxy

Apr 13, 2010
    Ah, ok! Thanks! What would she be a cross between?

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't really tell. She will have a blue egg layer somewhere in her history. How old is she? Might she be a he? [​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    She's a beautiful EE (Easter Egger). Who knows what EEs are crossed with. Most EEs look similar and since they come from hatcheries it is likely a mix of breeds crossed with the Ameraucana (who knows how far back). [​IMG] I LOVE my EEs!! Great birds! Beautiful eggs too!

7. foxyloxy

Apr 13, 2010
    She's about 16 weeks old. I'm assuming she's a she? She looks and acts like a she so far?

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Looks like a pullet to me.

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    A very pretty EE!

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Thats an EE I now I have 2 that look just like her. Their some of the BEST layers I've ever had. COOLMITCH [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by