1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this an attempt to crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ladyfarmerpdx, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ladyfarmerpdx

ladyfarmerpdx New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    My boyfriend is convinced one of my chicks is a cockerel and honestly? I just need to put it to rest. They're about 2.5 weeks or so-- too young to sex the straight run polish crested.

Check out this video and you tell me. Please. :(

2. HeltsleyHen

HeltsleyHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    I will be interested in the responses here. We are newbies and ours are doing the same thing. Even our sexlinks so I think its not a 'crowing' practice. Hopefully we are right b/c any roos that we end up with we will have to rehome due to ordinances.

3. ladyfarmerpdx

ladyfarmerpdx New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Same here...and the boyfriend has been obsessing over it so its been really bumming me out!

I've read in a few places this is also a cool down method, but I trust this forum more!

4. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks like he just has something stuck in his throat. Sometimes they eat the bedding and it gets stuck. Have you given any treats?

5. ladyfarmerpdx

ladyfarmerpdx New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I have not...I've been feeling like they're still too young. I hope its not a cockerel! I camt have roos in portland city limits and I kinda adore the little thing.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Not crowing practice. All chicks and adults adjust their crops like that. If it does a little screechy noise with a wide gape, then you'll know. But it's very early.

7. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think he is crowing just adjusting as debid said. If you had given treats I would suggest you give them access to chick grit. Looks like a healthy little chick :)

8. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    If it is a roo it will be a while before he starts to crow. Don't worry and enjoy them. If you end up with a roo you shouldn't have too much trouble rehoming him :)

9. ladyfarmerpdx

ladyfarmerpdx New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you. The other half wont leave me alone about it! My little california greys are so so sweet...and this one is so skittish. But that's also the crested from what I understand as a breed.

The little thing is SO bright eyed and inquisitive. It seems really smart, so I'm hoping its a hen!

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

If a chick adjusts frequently, I'd give grit even though you haven't fed anything other than chick feed. Occasionally, a chick will eat some litter and that can be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by