Is this an Australorp? I thought they were all black!

Is there White Australorps?

• No, they are surposed to be black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, they come in different colors

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I have not Idea

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

AngelChic

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
Back when I purchased my new chickens, in hopes of picking 6 good pullets, I seen two little white chicks in the Australorp barrel.. But wait, the sign showed black chickens! I asked the salesman and he said what most would say "IDK they were brought in here with them". I though hmmm, maybe they are albino Australorps, so I said "throw them in Ill take em". Now 6 months later, one died early on and now the other is fat, barely moves, and waddles cause his girth is so wide AND bit me this morning! Turns out these albino australorp pullet is a rooster! Not to happy about that, turns out two of my 7 are roosters. Anyhow, now this leads me into a question is this even a Australorp at all or was it just a mix up at the store and they threw in two older chicks (by the way they were much larger than the others) in the barrel just as a left over and didn't care to make sure they were even the right breed. Did I get a crazy breed that wants to bite at my ankles all the time or what? Help please!!
!
Fat Chicken.jpg

Honestly, I think you have a Cornish Cross roo, judging by his great size and the orange feet. Cornish Crosses are a common breed of chicken, and mislabeling happens frequently at stores that sell poultry. The reason why he's so large is because Cornish Crosses are typically bred for meat, and meat chickens are typically larger than your average chicken bred for eggs rather than meat. (Cornish Cross roos weigh an average of 10 lbs.) Also, :welcome

There is a breed called an Austra White. Which is a cross between a Australorp and a White Leghorn, however they are much more smaller than a Cornish Cross and have either white feet or black feet.

Honestly, I think you have a Cornish Cross roo, judging by his great size and the orange feet. Cornish Crosses are a common breed of chicken, and mislabeling happens frequently at stores that sell poultry. The reason why he's so large is because Cornish Crosses are typically bred for meat, and meat chickens are typically larger than your average chicken bred for eggs rather than meat. (Cornish Cross roos weigh an average of 10 lbs.) Also, :welcome

Agreed.
Black is the most common color for australorp in the general market, but they do come in white. .....this bird, though, is not an australorp

They probably combined bins as the stock of each got low. It stinks that they didn't move the sign with the chicks and you got the salesperson who had no clue but that does look like a grown meat chicken.

He is very large so much so he doesn't like to move much. I'm worried about his aggression that I seen this morning and really didn't want a roster but looks like we are stuck with each other now. Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Oh, one other things that's strange about him, he isn't clean "down there" and he lets the hens sit on him and Ive noticed he has had poo on his back because of this. Is that normal?

He is very large so much so he doesn't like to move much. I'm worried about his aggression that I seen this morning and really didn't want a roster but looks like we are stuck with each other now. Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Oh, one other things that's strange about him, he isn't clean "down there" and he lets the hens sit on him and Ive noticed he has had poo on his back because of this. Is that normal?
You're welcome. I don't exactly know why he lets the hens sit on him, that's very strange. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom