1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this an Australorp pullet? *update*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countyroad1330, Dec 22, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    This chicken was in a pen with six ducks for quite some time. A friend of mine took the ducks, so I took the chicken. Its kinda sad looking, the ducks picked at its tail alot. It is about 7 months old. Is it an Australorp? And is it a pullet?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doesn't look like it, at least not a pure one. Body is too slender, head not broad enough, IMO. Seems like a pullet, but I'm not sure.

3. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    It came from Ideal, I know that much. It has that green sheen to its black feathers. Its legs look blacker than a Lorp, I think, and its toenails are white. It has those longer skinny feathers from its head all down its neck, but that's the only place.

Speckled - You said it looked Slender, I think it is very malnutritioned. It was being fed "every three days or so." [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  4. speckledhen

Poor thing! Well, maybe later on, you could post a pic in full daylight and we can better tell you what you have. Glad it's in your care now! Australorps soles of their feet are white/gray rather than yellow; maybe that will help some.

5. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think it is a "hatchery version" of a Black Sumatra!

6. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Well, my first thoughts were Australorp or Sumatra, maybe Jersey Giant. But the comb is wrong for a Sumatra, right? And I don't think Jersey Giants have the flourescent green. I hope its not a mixy.

I tried putting it with my bantams, but that silly Dark Brahma roo started a fight. After that the new one was too afraid to be with the Orps. So I guess it will stay the night in the house. Its so sweet, it wants to be with me. Even my younger sister said she kinda likes it, so I can't get rid of it now. *haha*

Grace - Thank you! You are talking about the Dark Brahma, right? Don't you think the Light one is a roo? I'm thinking so.

7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Cammie, I am not sure what it is. It is still a little young to tell. It could be a giant, australorp, maybe even a Minorca.

8. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Ok, judging from what Ideal has, it must be a Black Australorp, Black Dutch Bantam, Black Minorca, Black Sumatra, or Jersey Black Giant. But it isn't a good version of any of those possibly breeds (there is something wrong with each option - like the wrong comb) ... it is sometimes really hard to tell with a hatchery bird.
    Any Black bird can have the shiny green color, but the problem with Jersy Giants is that they are, well, Giant! Your girl looks too small for that.

Yeah, I was saying that the Dark Brahma "rescue" was looking good [​IMG]

9. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Well its not a Black Dutch, because it is definitely NOT bantam. And It has no signs of white on its face, so I doubt its a Minorca. And to be 7 months old it is very small to be a Giant. And its the wrong comb for a Sumatra, but it has a longer, slender tail than Austalorps.

So I just don't know! It is very malnutritioned, it has eaten a ton since I brought it home. I guess I will just have to wait until he/she fattens up and grows back the tail feathers.

10. speckledhen

The neck seems so long to be any of the larger breeds, but I think you'll have to wait till she fills out to really be able to take a better guess. Malnutrition can do all sorts of things to change the appearance of a chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by