Is this an Australorp roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Galaxiam, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Galaxiam

Galaxiam New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Hi-- I'm brand new on here but I've been reading BYC for about 2 months now. I just bought 3 chicks recently and fear that one of them is a rooster!! "She" is my favorite but I think she's not really a she... It's supposed to be a female Australorp.

This chicken has made weird noises before. The first time I heard it she was 2 weeks old. It was a screeching kind of sound and she only made it once or twice.

Today I woke up and heard her screeching a loud "caw caw caw" at 5:30 a.m. I'm assuming that is called crowing. It was not a "cock a doodle dooooo" sound but a screeching sound. She is now about 6-8 weeks old.

I'm still hoping that it's just a really loud hen, because I know those exist. I'm asking all of you who obviously have a lot more knowledge about this than I do. Please help!

I'm trying to upload some images... so is this a boy? Am I going to get my heart broken again by another man?? [​IMG] lol... Just kidding...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, sorry, that's a boy. They don't get their full crow till they are older. Before I re-homed our baby roo, he started making a screeching sound, almost like he was being strangled when he tried to crow. It was pretty funny actually. Think of it like when a teenage boy's voice changes, same squeak.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    That comb and wattles are screaming ROO!

4. Galaxiam

Galaxiam New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Yeah... I had a feeling it was a boy but was in denial.

Thank you very much mom2jedi and paddock36 for your answers.

I just didn't want to admit that I had a Rooster. Especially since the store owner I bought it from guaranteed that it was a girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by