Is this an Australorp roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Galaxiam, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Galaxiam

Galaxiam Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    Hi-- I'm brand new on here but I've been reading BYC for about 2 months now. I just bought 3 chicks recently and fear that one of them is a rooster!! "She" is my favorite but I think she's not really a she... It's supposed to be a female Australorp.

This chicken has made weird noises before. The first time I heard it she was 2 weeks old. It was a screeching kind of sound and she only made it once or twice.

Today I woke up and heard her screeching a loud "caw caw caw" at 5:30 a.m. I'm assuming that is called crowing. It was not a "cock a doodle dooooo" sound but a screeching sound. She is now about 6-8 weeks old.

I'm still hoping that it's just a really loud hen, because I know those exist. I'm asking all of you who obviously have a lot more knowledge about this than I do. Please help!

I'm trying to upload some images... so is this a boy? Am I going to get my heart broken again by another man?? [​IMG] lol... Just kidding...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, sorry, that's a boy. They don't get their full crow till they are older. Before I re-homed our baby roo, he started making a screeching sound, almost like he was being strangled when he tried to crow. It was pretty funny actually. Think of it like when a teenage boy's voice changes, same squeak.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    That comb and wattles are screaming ROO!

4. Galaxiam

Galaxiam Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    Yeah... I had a feeling it was a boy but was in denial.

Thank you very much mom2jedi and paddock36 for your answers.

I just didn't want to admit that I had a Rooster. Especially since the store owner I bought it from guaranteed that it was a girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by