Is this an EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Big Red's Mom, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I have this beautiful hen, here she is about 5 months old. She is now8 months old and has started laying eggs they are small and almost white. I was expecting blue or some shade close. Is she an EE or araucana. She has willow legs,tail features and is much smaller than my other birds. She loves to sing. I was just wondering if she may change to blue/green eggs later.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a pretty EE to me. And her egg color wont change. In fact, they usually start out with the first few eggs being the most intensely colored. Since EEs are mixed breeds, they can lay any color at all. Araucanas look nothing like that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    She is a EE and doesn't carry the blue egg gene. If she did, she would lay green/blue eggs since the blue egg is dominant. The egg color that she lays will remain the same.

Araucanas are a rumpless purebreed and always lays a blue/green egg.

I bought two EE's thinking they would both lay blue/green eggs. One lays a beautiful blue egg, the other lays a very lightly tinted brown egg, even though they look the same. On the plus side, they have good personalities and lay on average 3 to 4 eggs/week.

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I would say yes shes a EE

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    The color she lays won't change. All EE's do not lay colored eggs. I have one that lays an offwhite egg too. Auracana's are extremely rare and have no tail. It is very unlikely for you to get on. Most hatcheries sell EE's and lable them a Americanas or Auracanas, but they aren't.

6. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    so im new to the whole chicken lingo..so this probably is a stupid question to some, but what does EE stand for?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Easter Egger, a mixed breed bird, as opposed to a true Ameraucana.

8. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ohhh..alright...that makes sense...thanks [​IMG]

9. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Thank you all. She is a great little bird. My son has a great time with her. She is very soft and sings when you hold and pet her. I guess it is okay if we don't get a blue/green egg from her. Just as long as she lays and is okay. [​IMG]

She was almost stolen by a dog the end of November. I found him taking her down the driveway and stopped him. She was muddy, wet and lost a good amount of feathers. After a warm bath and a little TLC she was fine.

Thank you all for the information. I will try again in the spring to get a blue/green egg layer. My son really wants one.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Happy New Year to you all.[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by