IS THIS AN INTERNAL PIP? SHOULD i GO INTO LOCK DOWN NOW?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Oct 1, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    These are pictures I took this morning. Are these eggs internally pipped, should I go into lock down now?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    yes thats a internal pip lockdown. you should feel the tapping to. the easiest way to check for internal pipping is to touch the air cell end of egg to your ear and you can feel and hear them tapping.

3. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    I put the egg to my ear and you can feel them tapping. I stopped turning and I'm filling one water tray at a time until it gets to 80 pecent humidity. How long do you think untill they hatch?

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Could be DAYS. Ducks are so frustrating to hatch... they take their good 'ol sweet time as if there isn't a human standing nearby tapping their foot.

Once you add that last bit of water don't open the lid. Don't want any shrink wrapping after they've pipped. Leave it be until there's ducklings running around inside. [​IMG]

Now is a good time to take a 2 day trip somewhere. Just kidding. Monitor but don't open!

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:internal pip to hatch is usually around 72 hours or so. they dont hatch fast like chickens

6. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    They are rocking back and forth alot but still no pip. Should I be worried? Its been at least 12 hours since they internally pipped, probally more.

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I think they should be fine.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is usually around 24 hours between internal pip and external pip. So dont worry to much yet, they need some more time. If the ones that have the beak already poking into the airsac now havent broken through the shell in 12- 18 hours it could be a sign that the membranes are dry. In the mean time just make sure the humidity is kept high.

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Ducks take forever! Don't rush them! Also, watch the humidity. It's going to seriously spike as soon as they start hatching and you may have a hard time lowering it. I wouldn't go over 65% at the most....

10. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    If they dont break through and the membranes are dry is there anything I can do? Right now I'm at exactly 80% humidy, should i raise it ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by