Is this an OK broody jail for broody hen & limping friend? Pics...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennypennysmom, Dec 21, 2009.

1. hennypennysmom

hennypennysmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Plymouth, Ma
    After much reading, we decided that we needed to break our broody hen, Aster broodiness. We have no roosters and she's trying to hatch imaginary eggs - that will take FOREVER! [​IMG]

We do not have a dog or animal cage, but did have a dog pen in our garage and have set it up. DH was worried the concrete floor was cold (he loves the girls!), so he put down a pallet for them to stand on. The red one is Aster (broody girl), and the other one is Petunia who I posted about on the Injuries board (she's been a bit lame since birth, but has always managed to get around fine, eats, gets up on the roost, etc - but the cold seems to have increased her limp and she's been hiding in the henhouse because she's getting picked on. Petunia stands with one foot curled up beneath her. It looks exactly like the other foot too - nothing obvious wrong with her foot or leg. She'll put it down to use it as a sort of crutch to walk, but doesn't seem to put much weight on it. She can even run - sort of a funny gait, but she's been fairly active up til it got so cold. She's the sweetest, most docile hen we have...one of our 2 favorites, but don't tell the others!).

Have no idea if putting them together is a good idea, but figured we'd give it a try. Watching to see if Aster picks on Petunia - have 2 food bowls down, and they are both eating - a lot - which makes me think they haven't been eating a lot lately because of their various behaviors.

Wondering if this will help give Petunia a rest, get her stronger so she can go back into the coop with the others - or if I should bring her to the vet.

Will this work as a broody breaking jail for Aster? The other cages I've seen are very small....

So far they both just appear to be a bit perplexed about exactly what is going on! [​IMG]

Whaddya think?

Thanks - Kara, Aster & Petunia....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the coop where they live (before the 2' of snow we got yesterday!)
    [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yep. That looks good!

Cute coop, by the way.

3. hennypennysmom

hennypennysmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Plymouth, Ma
    emys...thanks!

Petunia (the lame one), just flew up and was roosting on the edge of the wire, so we put a covering of heavy plastic over the top. Maybe she's more capable than I think....!

Kara

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Nothing wrong with her wings! Just getting a little exercise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by