Is this an okay subsitute for poly-vi-sol?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by awesomefowl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

well, since my chicks hatched two were a little weak. Someone told me you could dribble a little bit of poly-vi-sol (baby vitamin supplement) on their beak to boost them. We couldn't find poly-vi-sol, does "Pedia Essentials Multi-Vitamin drops with extra iron" sound like an okay substitute? This is an odd question, I know, but I'd rather ask first than hurt my chickies!

Thanks!
    Awesomefowl

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My understanding is that you are not supposed to use the vitamins with iron ~ so no they would not be good.

I use this ~ Vitamins/Electrolytes

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

THANKS! We'll return it.

4. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    poly vi sol is a weird thing, sometimes it's in with the regular vitamins and other times it's with all the baby stuff. It's fairly common so if you're within reasonable distance to multiple grocery stores or markets, I highly recommend searching all of them. Personally, I always keep an unopened bottle in the fridge just in case.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    No

At CVS, the poly-visol that you are looking for (without iron) is kept behind the pharmacy counter and the pharmacist has to get it for you. I don't know why, but when I was looking for it in the aisles and getting frustrated, I finally asked and low and behold, there it was at his fingertips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by