Is this Angel Wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Aug 11, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Is this angel wing? If so what do I do. Is it caused by diet - if so what can I add or take away. I will see what info I can find on it too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    She is on Wild Game Bird Starter
    26 % protein

Is that too high???

My Maintenance food I am feeding my runners is 18 % protein - should I switch her to that?

Maybe I should mix the two... to make it somewhere in between.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Looks like a mild case of it, the picture from behind really shows it well. You should be able to treat it for 4 days. I've been writing about the fix several times now, and I'm no expert in any means. I had a bird that injured himself making his wing look like angel wing. I wrapped him just like I'm describing below and he healed just fine. There are several suggestions on how it gets started and people may fight over it. Regardless what caused it, it is best to treat it early. Done right you will not see any of it a week later. Go to the feed store and get 2 rolls of vet wrap, that should cover 4 wrappings. You will need someone to hold the bird on a table while you wrap. First you fold that wing in tucked under the wing and do one wrap around the wing itself. If you don't do that the bird will stretch out its wing under the wrap, which does not help much to get it perfectly right. Next you wrap once around the body close to the legs and one more time over the chest. If you do it to loose the bird will pull out its wing, to tight it wont be able to breath or eat right. Don't worry you will learn really fast what works. I remove the wrapping at night so the bird can stretch out its wings and get the blood circulation going. Don't worry this will not slow down the healing process. You should be done with the wrapping after 4 days. It really heals that fast. Not treating it will make the wings stick out like airplane wings and they can hurt themselves on their wings by hitting something and then you have a bigger issue on hand. So try your best to treat it now, so you have a happy bird in the long run. No swimming with the wrap on. I had my bird isolated with a body for the few days. He didn't mind at all, because he was in the back yard and tried to master the dog door into the house. Never figured it out, but he had fun.

4. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks I will go get some vet wrap. Should I change his diet at all?

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yes, the protein is too, high, 99% of the time this is often the cause of it, also genetics or injury, but too high of a protein is usually it. cut it back to a 18% starter.
    Also when first feathering out with the primarys, it can look like angle wing when it's not, once feathered out they look fine.
    If it continues, yes do like the above post suggest to try to fix it

6. katharinad

I feed mine 17% protein. If it would look like that on both wings, then I would say wait a week because it could be a growing phase. I have seen this one my birds. Their wings are taking a boost, while their body is a little bit behind. It usually appears equally on both sides of the bird. Here it is on one side, which is pretty much an indicator. Wrapping does not hurt. I consider it a sling to support the feathers.

7. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    All I have here is duck and goose maintenance... 18% protein, 3% fat and 4.5% fiber. Do you think that would be okay for it. It is about 5 weeks old as far as I know. I can order some duck and goose starter it will take a little while to get. I have to have it shipped from Anchorage... 300 miles away.

The duck and goose starter they have is 21 Protein, 6% fat, and 2.5% fiber.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. katharinad

Tia, I would not change it from 18% to something else. I would give them electrolyte/vitamin water once or twice per month, oyster shell on the side as a free choice for the girls once they hit egg laying age. Oh and grit once they cannot get it themselves due to frozen soil in winter. That should cover their needs. Quite honest I don't even do the starter, developer, layer and who knows what thing. You really don't need to if you give them the rest as add ons. The layer usually contains extra oyster shell in it, but it would not be a good choice if you have drakes around since they don't need the extra calcium.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    me either, 18% is what I have always used on 1000's of migratory waterfowl with great results

10. katharinad

wow, I'm cross eyed today. Yes, tia get the duck off the high 26% game starter diet and give the regular 18% maintenance. It does not need the high octane fuel. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by