Is this angel wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosebud 18, May 19, 2011.

1. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    This is one of my black swedish and the white feathers on her left wing is sticking up and out. Is this angel wing? I taped it down with surgical tape last night and she had it picked off this moning. I then put a thin strip of duck tape around her and by noon she had pulled her wing out of that. I have now put the tape futher up on her wing. She is already picking at that. Is there anything else I can do? What do you use to hold the wing against her body and how far up on the wing do you apply the tape or whatever you use? Is there anything else I can do? She/he will be 6 weeks old monday.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Looks like angel wing to me. I would use a sports wrap for a sprained ankle and put that on her, wrap it around the wing 1-2 times and then wrap around the body snug and fit.

3. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Duck tape...hahahahahaha. Sorry.

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, that's angel wing. Here is a pic of how I taped a wing - I used an elastic sticky type of tape called Elastoplast (not sure if you have it in the US). It is REALLY hard to get off so your duck will be doing well to get rid of it if you use this. Mind you, it is a slow and careful exercise to get it off yourself but if nothing else works then this is a good option.

I taped the last portion of the wing (where the flight feathers come out) to the 'elbow' (near my little finger in the pic) and then put tape around the 'wrist' joint at the front (closest to my thumb). You can also do it in a figure of 8 type pattern. If you don't tape the wing to the body the duck can still flap. Make sure the flight feathers are fully tucked up underneath the 'elbow' where they should be. You can;t see them in this pic as they were still small as I caught it early. I had this tape on for 2 days and it fixed the problem. You might need to tape yours for longer as the feathers have grown more. Take it off every two days though to check how it is going. Don't tape too tight.

[​IMG]

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Is angel wing the same as a slipped wing? I read a slipped wing can be from protein levels,brooder temp too high and plain ol' hereditary.

6. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    70%cocoa :

Yes, that's angel wing. Here is a pic of how I taped a wing - I used an elastic sticky type of tape called Elastoplast (not sure if you have it in the US). It is REALLY hard to get off so your duck will be doing well to get rid of it if you use this. Mind you, it is a slow and careful exercise to get it off yourself but if nothing else works then this is a good option.

I taped the last portion of the wing (where the flight feathers come out) to the 'elbow' (near my little finger in the pic) and then put tape around the 'wrist' joint at the front (closest to my thumb). You can also do it in a figure of 8 type pattern. If you don't tape the wing to the body the duck can still flap. Make sure the flight feathers are fully tucked up underneath the 'elbow' where they should be. You can;t see them in this pic as they were still small as I caught it early. I had this tape on for 2 days and it fixed the problem. You might need to tape yours for longer as the feathers have grown more. Take it off every two days though to check how it is going. Don't tape too tight.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80856_taped_wing.jpg

Thanks 70%cocoa, just what I need to know.​

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Be careful not to have it bent too much, just enough to keep the end of the wing close to the body. There is a really good video but I can't seem to fpaste it here. Check the angle wing posts in the goose section too and see if you can find it. Mine only took 3 1/2 days and now it's been perfect for a month.

It's worth fixing it.

I used vet tape and then a thin strip of regular tape mostly on the vet tape and just barely touching the feathers. Made it easier to get it off.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by