sarahannecloud9

Chirping
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Pleasant Hill, Tn
My Coop
My Coop
TIA!!

There is only a cpl faint differences in both of my australorps now. The comb and waddles are a bit more red on one. I don't know if it's the one that had the tail feathers come in last or not. I also noticed from the house that one of them chases my littles areound the yard and coop. They are same size and color. I believe aprox 5 months old. You can see in the pics where the one that had no tail for so long looks like an ostrage. She/he now has an identical tail as the other. Their combs have never been different sizes.

Current pic.

Just after the tail started to grow.

Bald tail area.

This is about a montha and a half ago, see no tail feathers. It was bald looking before.

Last edited:

djennessee

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Hi there, I don't think it is a roo from the pictures. I got my australorps on May 23, 2012. We also thought we had a roo. His comb developed faster and darker red. We were watching his tail but didn't notice much difference there. He also began to display dominant behaviors, BUT, last week he started to crow. Now we are sure.

sarahannecloud9

Chirping
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Pleasant Hill, Tn
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks!

I was so worried because of the tail. I read that this breed is easiest to tell by the tail, lol. Poor thing finally got one. We REALLY were hopeing that it turned out to be a hen. We got stuck with 14 roos out of 24. :( This one has not crowed that I have heard. Even the littles are crowing, lol. Thanks for the help!

Sylvestor12

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Here's how you can tell....

Rooster Hen
thick legs feels thin in comparision

huge wattles and comb small wattles and comb

grows drooping feathers by tail smooth transition from back to tail

tail that goes uot and curves down goes upward and doesn't curve

dense spiny neck feathers soft wide feathers lightly packed

Latest posts