Is this Avian Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cajun4x4, Nov 19, 2011.

1. cajun4x4

cajun4x4 New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    Is this Avian Pox? I just noticed most of my birds with black crusts on their crowns. Mosquitoes have been bad this past several weeks.
    [​IMG]

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    yes

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh, yeah. That's a classic case of dry pox. Poor bird looks grumpy and miserable. Fortunately, it'll pass pretty quickly.

Good luck.

4. jgmyers500

jgmyers500 New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Gilmer Texas
    I am dealing with the same issue right now. I have 40 or so birds and it has taken over my entire flock...

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Boo. :\ Mine have it too. I have 50-60 including all the babies and mamas. If you have chicks, be careful about them catching it. It can kill little babies.

6. jgmyers500

jgmyers500 New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Gilmer Texas
    I hatched 30 chicks this year. I sold 20 of them to a neighbor. I lost 8 chicks in the same day at six weeks old. They all looked healthy the day before and were dead the next morning. Took them to the vet for testing was told it was wet pox and was given several home treatment options... My older birds have dry pox. They dont seem as happy as usual, but are still up and active and getting better.

7. bcboy

bcboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    What are the home treatment options? Thanks.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2 :pop

9. crazypolishchic

crazypolishchic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    I have one pen that has it too. Bantam Rooster comb is covered and swollen and he is constantly shaking his head. The Vet Rx seems to soothe it but has not been any type of cure. I read about treating with Epsom Salts but would do more research on that before trying.

I have a vaccine I am going to give to my new chicks that are separate. I am wondering if anyone knows if I can give it to my other adult pen if they aren't showing any signs of the pox yet. They are right next to the affected chickens so I don't know if they have been exposed and if the vaccine will hurt them if they have been exposed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by