Is this Avian Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liz9910, Oct 4, 2012.

1. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Just went outside and my poor Welsummer's comb and wattles look terrible! My Marans has a black spot on her comb and I noticed some weird blister like bumps on my other chickens too! Horrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Looks like what my chickens have. Yucky big black or gray lesions- some started out white. My birds otherwise act just fine. But they are laying VERY poorly.

People have said my chickens' disease was fowl pox. I read it lowers egg production, but it will run its course, usually w/o any fatality. Once it is done your chickens should be immune.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you for your reply.

4. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Sure! And if you find out any information related to fowl pox please let me know. One of my hens that has it just had babies and I'm really worried about them getting it and how it effects newly hatched chicks.

Take care!

5. Tropical Chick

Tropical Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    My hens just came down with this too. They are still laying, do you think it is safe to eat their eggs while they are having this pox?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Eggs are fine to eat.

7. Tropical Chick

Jul 30, 2012
    Thank you. I checked out other posts after I had read this post regarding eating the eggs and they said the same thing. My hens are about in the first week of this pox and they are all still laying the same amount and eating regularly and acting normal. I don't know if they just have a mild form of it or they will start feeling poorly in a week or so because from what I am reading it is a 4-6 week duration of the ugly spots.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Mine laid through the whole course of the pox, all 4 weeks. Just depends on the individual bird.

9. Tropical Chick

Jul 30, 2012
    My three hens lay three eggs a day 7 days a week. We are in the third week of the pox and I have only had two mornings where there were only two eggs in the nesting boxes, so they must not be feeling too poorly even though they look kind of funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by