Is this baby trying to crow????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eliz, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    I have a "suspect roo" that has been doing this thing where he opens his beak really wide and moves his head up and down. BUT nothing comes out!
    Is this little guy trying to crow or should be concerned about another problem?

2. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    My hens do something similar to what you describe too, so I wouldn't assume it's a roo until that actual crow is heard. Could it be panting? Maybe he/she is trying to cool down.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont think its trying to crow either.

4. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Could be a roo, though. I have a young silkie roo that has been learning to crow lately, but he's really bad at it (sounds like he's being strangled). Anywho, he often does a silent crow thing where he goes through all of the motions but no sound comes out.

Sort of like he's doing a dry run before the real show...or from the sound of his crow so far, he is having trouble forcing the sound out. [​IMG]

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Our chicks often make a motion almost like they are yawning. No sound, but wide open beaks!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Does it look like this? Both these chicks are hens...

[​IMG]

7. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    I have seen one of my pullets do that too, except without the head going up and down- not sure why.........[​IMG]

8. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Yep It looks like that. But it does some head moving and it looks like it's moving his throat?? So we will see. I don't have any roosters nor does anyone around me so I have been doing some thing alittle crazy!!! I have been playing rooster sound clips off my laptop for them, you know, so they at least know what they are suppose to be sounding out [​IMG]

I just wanted to make sure it was normal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by