Is this baby's wing messed up? PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by muscovy94, Aug 15, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have a baby pigeon and something looks wrong with his wing and it is making me worry. Does it look messed up? The other wing lays flat against his body but this one doesn't. But I got to looking at both the wings and the one that sticks out still has the little plastic tubing straw looking things that the feathers come out, and the normal looking wing doesn't. So maybe the tubing is weighing the wing down? Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I believe he just needs to grow in to it! Sometimes the wings seem to big for the bosy but when they get bigger and more feathers it looks right. Give it some time.

3. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I hope so because it is really making me worried. And when he flaps his wings the other wing flaps right but the other one flaps awkwardly.

4. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I agree he looks pretty good for that "ugly" stage. Hungarian giant house? Very nice shiney black color.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Sometimes pigeons look as if they'll end up with angel wings, but 99% of the time all they need to do is grow a little more. Since those primaries are longer, they can be a little awkward for the babies at first.

By the way, that tubing is the feather sheath. It protects new feathers while they are growing. If the other wings' sheaths have already fallen off, then the other wing is probably close behind it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by