Is this bad?

Wee Timmy

Songster
Mar 30, 2017
Texas
One of my Toulouse goslings has this on the bottom of each of its feet. The skin is cracked and has this brown stuff in it, is this normal? I’ve never had geese before so I don’t know.
290E2AEB-057A-47FF-9763-15A141DC8250.jpeg
16BB4597-C45D-4FE2-A54B-F6FEAF8596A7.jpeg

It might be a cut or splinter type wound that has got an infection. Try spraying some antiseptic spray on the area. I use Vetericyn Plus on my birds. This will help to clean the area. I hope this helps

I don't think his feet are supposed to look like that - to me it doesn't look like he just stepped in poo, especially not with the cracks. It also seems there are more cracks forming by the other joints. I just checked a picture I took yesterday of my gosling's feet, and they do not have cracks; only wrinkles. To me it could look like bumblefoot in the making.

How many goslings do you have? Do any of the others display any kind of cracks? What kind of bedding are they on? Is it clean and dry in their pen? Do they free-range - and could anything on the ground cut their feet?

This is what my 12 days old gosling's feet look like:
IMG_1064-003.JPG
IMG_1064-002.JPG

I don't think his feet are supposed to look like that - to me it doesn't look like he just stepped in poo, especially not with the cracks. It also seems there are more cracks forming by the other joints. I just checked a picture I took yesterday of my gosling's feet, and they do not have cracks; only wrinkles. To me it could look like bumblefoot in the making.

How many goslings do you have? Do any of the others display any kind of cracks? What kind of bedding are they on? Is it clean and dry in their pen? Do they free-range - and could anything on the ground cut their feet?

This is what my 12 days old gosling's feet look like:
View attachment 1450770 View attachment 1450768
I have two goslings, this is the only one that has this on its feet. They don’t free range and their bedding is pine shavings, and it’s always clean and dry. The only thing that they might cut their feet on is the asphalt driveway which they walk over sometimes when I take them outside.

Could be the asphalt was too hot one day? Maybe the one gosling stood on it long enough to get blisters? Their skin is probably not as tough as on an adult, and I'm guessing it can get really hot in Texas.

When I walk my goose in hot weather, I always test the asphalt road with my own feet. If it's too hot for me to stand on, I deem it too hot for her and try to keep her on the side of the road instead of on the road. She, of course, always prefers the road unless it's raining (puddles!), so it can be a struggle. The road used to be gravel, and she did get some small spots under her feet after it was asphalted. The vet removed them and told me it was just calluses, and she hasn't had any more of them since.

Other than that, I don't know what it could be. I read somewhere that Toulouse geese are more prone to bumblefoot than other breeds because of their weight, but that shouldn't apply to a young fluffy gosling.

Back
Top Bottom