Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pax12, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    I fixed 2 eggs with candle wax and now the Incubator smells like the ocean candle, will this hurt the eggs?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    No, the scented wax won't hurt anything, but don't be too surprised if the eggs don't make it. It depends on when in the process you did it -- if they're close to hatching it may work. If they aren't started yet, it probably won't work. I tried fixing a number of them that came out of the mailing box dented or cracked, and they all rotted.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Agreed, keep a close eye (or rather, nose!) on the cracked eggs for any sign of rot. You definitely don't want them messing up the others in your incubator if they decide to explode!

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I am with you on the worrying about a cracked egg. My beloved pet andalusian hen Beatrix laid several eggs that are mixed with my cochin rooster. Candled them all on day 3 and all were developing beautifully. One, however, has a hairline crack. I tried candle wax first but it just ran off the side of the egg so I used a glue stick yesterday. The egg is now on day 7 and I just candled and the embryo is bouncing around happily so keeping my fingers crossed for both you and myself! Keep me updated and we can share our stories! : )

5. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    oK thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by