Is this bad?!

blackyandstella

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
So this is my chickens body skin tone
and after healing from a pecking wound her bum looks like this!
can anyone help me if this is bad? I took this after bathing her that's why feathers are parted

It's a bit difficult to see what's going on there, so here's some questions. Has the original wound healed or is this area simply red and inflamed? I ask because I don't see a wound. Is the area hot, hard or does it feel 'normal'?

Is she also swollen in her lower abdomen? That red, swollen looking butt looks a lot like what hens develop when they have peritonitis from internal laying or other reproductive tract issues. If there is no swelling, just redness and feather loss, then I'd check her very carefully for mites.

Ok and how do I get her to regrow her feathers she is quarrel timed in the heated shed because she will be cold in 5 degree weather

Ok and how do I get her to regrow her feathers she is quarrel timed in the heated shed because she will be cold in 5 degree weather

She will eventually regrow her feathers. Give her extra protein feed, mushy cat kibbles, mealworms, oatmeal with yoghurt will help also. All are high in extra nutrition for her, you could also add some vitamins to her water. Certainly keep her warm and away from the other birds until she has got past the worst of this.

Thanks and she is put back in the coop but I got rid of the one eating and swallowing the other birds feathers

Back
Top Bottom