Is this bad?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackyandstella, Feb 25, 2014.

1. blackyandstella

blackyandstella Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    So this is my chickens body skin tone[​IMG] and after healing from a pecking wound her bum looks like this![​IMG] can anyone help me if this is bad? I took this after bathing her that's why feathers are parted

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It's a bit difficult to see what's going on there, so here's some questions. Has the original wound healed or is this area simply red and inflamed? I ask because I don't see a wound. Is the area hot, hard or does it feel 'normal'?

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

The skin color looks alright if she is only missing feathers as I do not see any wounds like boskelli1571 wrote no wounds in sight so how dose the skin feel to the touch ... [​IMG]

4. blackyandstella

Nov 3, 2013
    It feels normal and also how do I get her regroup her feathers?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is she also swollen in her lower abdomen? That red, swollen looking butt looks a lot like what hens develop when they have peritonitis from internal laying or other reproductive tract issues. If there is no swelling, just redness and feather loss, then I'd check her very carefully for mites.

6. blackyandstella

Nov 3, 2013
    Ok and how do I get her to regrow her feathers she is quarrel timed in the heated shed because she will be cold in 5 degree weather

7. blackyandstella

Nov 3, 2013
    Quarantined*

8. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    She will eventually regrow her feathers. Give her extra protein feed, mushy cat kibbles, mealworms, oatmeal with yoghurt will help also. All are high in extra nutrition for her, you could also add some vitamins to her water. Certainly keep her warm and away from the other birds until she has got past the worst of this.

9. blackyandstella

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks and she is put back in the coop but I got rid of the one eating and swallowing the other birds feathers

10. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

It feels normal and also how do I get her regroup her feathers?
    Well that's easy! All u need to do is blow dry her and she will part them her self with her beak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by