Is this bantam chick normal or sick??? HELP!

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I got a little bantam Ameraucana yesterday and ever since I got it home it has been acting really strange and irritated. It keeps peeping like crazy, keeps shaking its head, and scratching its head. I'm not sure how old it is but I think it is just around a week old. I have never had bantams before, so I don't know what "normal" bantam behavior is! Could this be mites on a chick this young? I've looked her over throughly and can't see anything, but something really seems to be bothering her. I have little d'Uccles hatching as we speak and was planning on just putting her in with them, but I don't want to pass anything along to those new babies. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue here?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Some chicks are just peepers and peep none stop.

No clue on the other stuff...I haven't had any bantams doing that. Do you have any DE? If so, maybe you could put some in there for it to dust in?

I need to know as well!!! One of mine is doing this same thing... no other symptoms. I'm going to give it some vitamins..... anything else I should know?

Me too! I noticed last night that one of my 2 week old bantam cochins is shaking his head a lot. I didn't notice any scratching. I looked her over and didn't see anything resembling parasites. Looks totally normal otherwise...eating, drinking, etc.

Back
Top Bottom