Is this bantam rooster a Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrjoltcola, Aug 29, 2016.

1. mrjoltcola

mrjoltcola Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    I rescued a flock of birds from a farm and was told by the grandfather that the birds were originally from his son's and grandkids 4H project, but otherwise he did not know what kind of bird. The rooster is medium bantam sized, and his chicks look like penguins. To me he looks like a black copper marans but I've never owned the breed so Im just guessing. I have Blue Copper which are 2x the size.[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Looks like a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds good to me :)

4. mrjoltcola

Aug 29, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Thank you. Can you give me some tips on how to identify/differentiate them?

5. mrjoltcola

Aug 29, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Not to doubt you, but he is too large to be a Old English Game Bantam, according to what I understand of standard weight / size. My picture might not have shown that well but he is standing next to a bantam. He is double the size of any Old English Bantam I've had, and he also lacks that look around the head / eyes of the small bantams (not sure what the term is, but the look of my BB Reds, kind of small head to buggy eyeball ratio). Maybe he is simply non-bantam Black Breasted Old English Game? Thanks again.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

He's hatchery quality. I wouldn't expect him to fit the standard to a T. I've seen hatchery birds that were too big, too small, too skinny. It's the product of lazy breeding.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say he is most likely a BB Red Old English. I think he's just a "large" bantam in my opinion. He doesn't look nearly large or the long "gamey" framed enough for a large breed Old English. Like QueenMisha said he's very likely a hatchery bird.

8. mrjoltcola

Aug 29, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Ok, that sounds fair. Thanks, guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by