Is this Barred Rock a Hen or Roo? **pics**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CathyRN, Jun 19, 2010.

1. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Got 9 fuzzy peeps from mypetchicken.com about 3.5 months ago......all hens no roo's. 3 of the birds are barred rocks....All of the birds have pretty small crops, except this one barred rock has a huge crop and waddle !! very red too......she is a little dominant, but not mean....very friendly. She is loud, but not crowing......and doesn't mount any of the other birds....but is she a roo ?[​IMG] Need opinions. Thanks.

This first picture below is my barred rock (on the right) and another barred rock (on the left - but the left bird is darker than all my other barred rocks)....is the bird on the right a roo ???
    [​IMG]
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47305_chickenpic2.jpg[/URL][/img

She's got huge waddles.....what am I ????
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47305_chickenpic3.jpg
    Thanks Everyone for your help ![​IMG]

2. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I say girlie girl!

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Sorry - a roo!

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    oh yeah...............ROO! They are lighter than the hens

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Yes, it's lighter, but notice the grey on the front of the legs. I had had many hens that have been lighter than others. I would have to see the comb of the other one to compare.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Looks "Roo-ish" to me. Tail feathers seem to droop, large comb, & lighter color point towards a HIM.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have 12 adult BR's now.........so this is my opinion........I think it's a male....most of my females waddles and combs didn't turn bright red until after they were laying (but they were rather large), but I think that it's black and white color is too predominantly 'light' to be a female. Most male BR's male feathers are much lighter. So basically, I think that what you have there is a boy.......from your pics, it seems that the feathers are much lighter than the other BR.....but I also have to say that I could NOT guarantee that this is a male because if it were mine, I could question it completely either way............I would think that the saddle feathers would be more predominant.......this is an iffy one in my opinion.

I know........not very much help.

8. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Mine looks just like that one... and she lays eggs... we'll have to wait and see:)[​IMG]:confused:

9. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    thats a girl! she doesnt have the body of a rooster. she must be older then you know and her hackle feathers are round

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hen. Yes, most of the time, the roosters are lighter, but her body shape and the lack of shiny hackle and saddle feathers says hen. I have one hen who is lighter than all her sons, Lexie. Had us all fooled.

I think she's older than 3.5 months.

Here is Lexie:

[​IMG]

A different hen, more of the color we usually see in female BRs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by