Is this Barred Rock a Hen or Roo? **pics**

CathyRN

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Sevier County, TN
Got 9 fuzzy peeps from mypetchicken.com about 3.5 months ago......all hens no roo's. 3 of the birds are barred rocks....All of the birds have pretty small crops, except this one barred rock has a huge crop and waddle !! very red too......she is a little dominant, but not mean....very friendly. She is loud, but not crowing......and doesn't mount any of the other birds....but is she a roo ?
hu.gif
Need opinions. Thanks.

This first picture below is my barred rock (on the right) and another barred rock (on the left - but the left bird is darker than all my other barred rocks)....is the bird on the right a roo ???
47305_chickenpic1.jpg

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47305_chickenpic2.jpg[/URL][/img

She's got huge waddles.....what am I ????
[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47305_chickenpic3.jpg
Thanks Everyone for your help !
D.gif

Quote:
Yes, it's lighter, but notice the grey on the front of the legs. I had had many hens that have been lighter than others. I would have to see the comb of the other one to compare.

I have 12 adult BR's now.........so this is my opinion........I think it's a male....most of my females waddles and combs didn't turn bright red until after they were laying (but they were rather large), but I think that it's black and white color is too predominantly 'light' to be a female. Most male BR's male feathers are much lighter. So basically, I think that what you have there is a boy.......from your pics, it seems that the feathers are much lighter than the other BR.....but I also have to say that I could NOT guarantee that this is a male because if it were mine, I could question it completely either way............I would think that the saddle feathers would be more predominant.......this is an iffy one in my opinion.

I know........not very much help.

Hen. Yes, most of the time, the roosters are lighter, but her body shape and the lack of shiny hackle and saddle feathers says hen. I have one hen who is lighter than all her sons, Lexie. Had us all fooled.

I think she's older than 3.5 months.

Here is Lexie:

DCP_2241.jpg

A different hen, more of the color we usually see in female BRs.

DCP_8208Amanda.jpg

Back
Top Bottom