Is this barred rock a pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rooster-red, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I am not sure but I bet speckledhen knows.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess is pullet and thats a 50/50 chance. Wait another 3-4 weeks and post an update. My guess is that chick is about 10 days old. How close am I? [​IMG]

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Yes it is

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Looking at the color of the legs....I'm hearing a cock-a-doodle-doo in your future...

That's exactly the way my 4 boys looked at that age, leg color wise. They still have very light legs and much lighter feathers (than the girls) also now that they are almost 6 wks old.

Speckledhen, how'd I do?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

rooster

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    cockerel, the comb is already starting to pop up and the feathers are fairly light (at least compared to my pullet)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  8. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    you have a future crower there

9. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    id say.....dum dum da dum!!!!(in anouncers voice) Rooster!!!!you just won yourself a fantastic trip the rooster island!!!This paricular island off the coast of moai loa is an all expenses paid abulutly free trip!!!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You did well, Susan! I vote cockerel based mostly on the fact that there is absolutely no black wash of color down the front of the legs and you're getting alot of wide barring already. The headspot is larger than most pullets I have as well. We can guess all day long and some will be right and some will be wrong because sometimes they didn't read their breed manuals before hatching and just don't know the rules like they should, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by