1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this barred rock a roo? Is it even a barred rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saraem, Apr 19, 2016.

1. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I am concerned this 2 week old barred rock is a rooster. What raised my suspicions was that this one has been much slower to feather than my other two chicks (a buff orpington and a RIR) - I did on search on why that might be and saw that often it points to a male. This would be very sad as we cannot keep a rooster and this one is the sweetest, gentlest chick we have.

They all came from sexed runs but I know it's not 100%.

I would like to know as soon as possible so we can look for a new home and prep the children, who will be heartbroken!

[​IMG]

Top of head...I don't even see a headspot at all, even in pics from the day we brought her/him home - is this indeed even a BR?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Legs...dark wash down leg/front but not much on feet.

[​IMG]

This pic is from about a week ago (so more like 1 week old) but you can see the feathering...doesn't have much more than that now.

[​IMG]

Taken today. S/he is pretty dark but looks less so in this pic because of the backlight.

THANKS!!

2. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Canada
    Beautiful chick! I'm horrible at sexing so I would NOT be able to help at all:(

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Not a Barred Rock. They would have a white spot on the head. Looks like maybe an Australorp and too early to sex accurately.

1 person likes this.
  4. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Canada
    An Austrorlorp can have white feathers?

5. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Austrolorps have a white stripe up the front of their necks as chicks I think.

6. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Canada
    Ahhhhh. Thanks!

7. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    This one definitely has some adult white feathers on its wings. You can see them in the second to last pic. Still an Australorp? Bummed that we don't have a BR as I love their look but I'd still be happy with an Australorp that's a girl!

Is it common to get something totally different than advertised? This one came from a local farm supply store.

8. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Most likely got stuck in the wrong bin. That happens sometimes :)

9. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    So, a couple more questions:

When will I be able to reliably sex an Australorp (assuming that's what we have)?

Could I add another BR chick in with these guys at 2 weeks, or would there age difference cause issues?

10. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Around 4-5 weeks old you'll be able to see the signs of male or female. I don't know about your other question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by