Is this Barred Rock worth showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Jan 6, 2013.

1. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Not a great bird but its worth a shot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Great bird

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. He is worth nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello all, I've wanted to show for a while, but before I show I want your opinion on how this guy would do in a show. (Oh and, he is 20 weeks in these pics)
    All comments are helpful!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Does he have any potential as a show bird?
    Thanks!

2. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    He is more of a production type than exhibition type. He should be larger in size, deeper and wider in his body with more distinctly perpendicular barring. I noticed that some barring in his hackle is "V" shaped instead of 90 degrees perpendicular to the feather shaft.
    Good barred rocks are hard to find but they are out there and if you are desiring exhibition quality barreds then I would suggest visiting the Plymouth Rock Fancier's web site and finding some breeders there who work with these birds and see if you can get some eggs, chicks or a pair/trio of adult birds.
    I raise exhibition barred rocks and could probably ship you some eggs later in the spring, eggs are the cheapest way to get started but often the most risky due to mishandling by the USPS.

Blessings,

Bo

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Thanks for being honest with me!
    If I keep breeding Barred Rocks do you think I could eventually get birds that would be fit for showing?
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    That would be very difficult too do with birds like your rooster. While a very handsome fellow, he is not show quality, or IMO breeding quality if you are looking to show. Bo's birds are really nice, and there are other breeders of show birds out there.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The birds you have came from a hatchery?

While a healthy looking bird, he's a production quality bird.

If you want to show Barred Rocks, you'll have to get the slow feathering, slow, slow, slow maturing strains. I don't know what is available in Canada, but here in the States, that will mean a Reese (Good Shepherd), Stukel, or one of the very few other good lines. These lines have been carefully bred, faithfully, for 100 years. They don't feather out until they are much, much older than a hatchery bird. I have both production and Reese birds and the difference is night and day. You could breed what you have for 20 years and I doubt you could pull that gene to the surface.

The very slow feathering is the result of a gene. This gene causes the pencil sharp barring. This thread shows lots of the Good Shepherd birds. (including mine, I think) [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Thanks for the link! And yes my birds are from the hatchery.
    Thanks for the help guys, I wasn't expecting my birds to be any good for showing, but just thought it couldn't hurt to ask!
    Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by