Is this Bear or Coyote fur?? Help me determine what I'm up agenst!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Nov 22, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Followed a trail of feathers that led me to this right above a huge pile of feathers going through the fence and a trickle of feathers after that.

Is this a coyote or a bear? I lost 1 of my extra boys (the rest are all in hot wired coops.)

I'd LOVE to hear that its a coyote. Unfortunately the coyotes around here are light grey and I'm thinking bear.

[​IMG]

I put it on my scanner and scanned it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Doesn't look canine to me....

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is supposed to be bear hair caught in barbed wire fence according to the website.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Unfortunately I think I know deep down it is a bear. [​IMG] Thanks guys! We had a bear a few months ago and the fur was longer(he is no longer a problem..), The short kinky stuff confused me a little and so did the coyote that was around here saturday trying to get into coops. Wishful thinking I guess!

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    When it gets caught in the wire, and stretched, that's how it gets kinky.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Can you run a strand of electric near the barbwire?

If so, then run it and electify it. Just before bed - go out turn off fencer, place bacon strips ON electric fence, then turn fencer back on.

Generally once the bear gets a nose full of electric - it will stay away.

Good thing the other birds are locked up tight. [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:there should be tracks close by they are kina easy to tell apart [​IMG]

8. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    The barbed wire runs the whole 3 acres and the fenceline was/is really overgrown. We've been working on getting it cleared. I might just do some fencing around the 5 coops and charge that up. I love the bacon idea but $10 says my cats will be the first to get shocked. [​IMG] The boys were out because I couldn't process them and I cant even pay people to take them! They were happy and I knew they might get eaten.. No big loss but with our last bear problem he learned he could just body slam the hotwire and get into coops. He was more a fan of chicken feed then chickens.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If you were closer, I would help you process your extra boys. [​IMG]

While it is no big loss (I totally understand what you are saying here) - you have just taught a predator that there is an easy meal to be had at your place.

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:there should be tracks close by they are kina easy to tell apart [​IMG]

Pine needles and leaves everywhere I cant find any tracks! Plus the whole driveway is covered with gravel. There is big disturbances in the ground and I just couldn't tell what it is.

*going back out to scour for tracks!*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by