Is this bedding OK?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beakkeeper, Jan 8, 2009.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    since it specifies spruce/pine/fir and is intended for small animals, it probably does not contain cedar and hopefully is not overly dusty.

it does not sound to me like as good a deal as I get from the local feedstore but that presumably varies regionally. Just make sure you've priced shavings at the feedstore, first [​IMG]

Pat

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I would have to agree. It sounds OK, but keep in mind I just bought a 9 sq foot area spread (in compressed bale form) of pine shavings for $7.50 today. You would be better off if you could find a feed store to purchase it at. MUCH cheaper than petco or petsmart.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    whats the problem with cedar ?

it keeps the smell down and keeps them smelling good, and i have never had a problem with it.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:The oils in cedar are toxic and cause respiratory problems in many animals. Pine is just as good at keeping scents down

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think you'll be ok with that.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Be sure to check the price at the feedstores, and Tractor Supply, around here they are always ALOT cheaper than any petstores.

8. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Nothing solid is wrong with cedar. That stuff is fine but is not a very good deal. I buy my wood chips from Walmart. Big honking bag for $7. Way better deal.

Jeremy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. Twin Oaks

Twin Oaks New Egg

Jan 31, 2009
    KY
    Would it be o.k. to use pine chips from our mulcher? Thank you!

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    has anyone tried the ground corn cobs. seems to be a good choice but i've only found it at petsmart so far. I'm thinking of using it in chicks brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by