1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this behavior normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DangerChickenHouse, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    MY wife says she has seen our 5 week old chicks sneeze. I'm not sure if it's a sneeze, but they do wipe their beaks afterwards.

Also, bubbles out of the beaks?

And finally, we go sit with them in the run throughout the day. At dusk they start crawling all over us (we don't pick them up, they hop in our laps) and start crying. Is this because it's getting dark out? We are bringing them inside around this time.

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    The sneezing thing doesn't seem normal to me. As for the hopping in your lap and crying, I know my babies got quite agitated when it started getting cooler and darker until I got them back in their cozy brooder so they could settle in for the night. I'd keep checking with some of the more expert chicken folks on that sneezing thing though.

3. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for responding! They are back inside, in their pet carrier (no brooder here), and in our dark office. They are quiet. I think they wanted to go to bed. Now I know what that chirp/cry means!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by