Is This Big Enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big Dreamer, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I am making a new coop for my ducks and i wanted to know if a coop that was 3ft tall 4ft wide and 8ft long was big enough for 9 ducks? Also it is only for night time and they have a big pen for the day time. Another thing is should i use the deep littler method for ducks? or is it not a good Idea? what else should i do for the bedding or ground?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I'm not to good on the formula for square footage; but that sounds good. However, you may want to keep growing room in mind as you may get struck with Duck Math the way everybody here gets struck with chicken math. [​IMG]

3. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    My 3 sleep in a little lean to I built from leftovers that is a bit less than 4 feet long, 2 feet deep and about 2 feet tall.

I would think 4x8 would be big enough for 9 to sleep comfortably.

They are sleeping on hay, but It's only been a month. I haven't changed it yet so I can't comment on how well it holds up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:Thanks for the heads up, but i live in the suburbs, so im not to worried about duck math, but i have to get rid of 4 of the ducks to make room for the other wlesh harlequins im going to get from my 4 WH so im getting rid of the muscovies, because they arent very freidnly and the WH are, so i will probably just breed the WH and keep some of their babies..and eventually im going to add on some nesting boxes!! Thank you again! More advice would be helpful from anyone else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by