Is this bird show quality? (serama)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NeverFast, Dec 14, 2011.

1. NeverFast

NeverFast Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    I was looking at purchasing this girl but don't know much about the standards on the breed. I wanted to get your EXPERT takes on her before I bought as I have seen so so many great critiques of birds on different threads here I know you will all be honest [​IMG] It is the black and white girl. Purchase Price is $12 the black one is also for sale for $12.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    No it is not. It is extremely poor type for a Serama. It is mottled, and only the white Serama has been recognized by the ABA, so a mottled cannot compete for awards at a show. That aside, it has a very poor mottling pattern, so even if mottled were recogized, that bird would not do well against decent competition. $12 is a cull price, and I'd say that it's not worth half of that.

3. NeverFast

Sep 7, 2011
    Ok note taken! I will gladly pass and thank you for you expertise in the area i am most definitely lacking.

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    You can't really tell because the bird is not posed at all. Even the best birds can look poor quality in certain pictures. The color really makes no difference. You can show her at serama shows and still could do well. Like someone said she couldn't really win at an aba sanctioned show but not many serama breeders are worried about that because there are so many all serama shows anyways. There is a big controversy about the traditional serama vs the American serama. Join the scna.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. Narragansett

Nov 8, 2011
    You're welcome. The 2011 edition of the Bantam Standard has a nice line drawing showing proper type in both sexes of the Serama.

6. Narragansett

Nov 8, 2011
    Quote:Posing can only help so much. That bird has so much horizonatal wing and body carriage that there's no way it would stay in proper "pose". It just doesn't have the body type to do it.
    I wasn't thinking about serama only shows when saying that the mottling couldn't compete. When someone asks me about show quality, I automatically assume that to mean that they are talking about real, sanctioned shows.

7. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I would pass on the mottled.. the black one you can't really tell but I did notice her legs their awful dark.. one plus is I dont see any white earlobes.. If they are local you could go see them in person.. I know some of mine that are pretty good quality, everytime I pull out the camera they seem to try and stretch themselves out and look awful lol

8. NeverFast

Sep 7, 2011
    She is a fat cuttie little thing though I do love them all show or no show I am still torn on what I should get and I want to make the right choice. "If" I get a show grade chicken I will show her but it would be for fun and not for better breeding unfortunately, on the other hand i in no way "need" a show chicken I merely would love the company of a pet chicken or two if they were small as I just don't want to have more than two and my coop would be nice for two. I am not really a silkie person just my personal preference -breeds I do love are Serama, Light Sussex, Light Brahma, Blue Maran, Blue Orpington, I tend to LOVE black and white chickens~ darn my soft spot~ but also love the blue too [​IMG] Any one have any recommendations for me on where to go with all this? Anyone happen to know anyone that has Pullets around the Sacramento area as well? kind of a tough time to year find them I am thinking?

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    There is an SCNA sanctioned serama show coming up the first weekend of March in Stockton. You could meet some local breeders there if you like, and learn a lot about the breed. And excellent judge is flying in for that show, who can be of a lot of help with questions after the show.

I LOVE my seramas. They are so friendly by nature. I wouldn't get any other bantam. They are amazing. I can give you more info on our local CA serama club if you wish. Just PM me.

10. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Get in touch with me we are about 100 mile apart and i'm sur i could help you find something . [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by