is this blackhead in my tom turkey????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by butch, Jul 15, 2011.

1. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    my turkey the last couple of days has been weak and lazy, it could barely stand up. so I thought it's legs were going bad on him, so I took him to get butcherd today and his lungs were dark red to a black color, thoughout the lungs. like in spots/strings. what is this????? he was 15 weeks old

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I think blackhead affects the large intestine and the liver and not so much the lungs (I'm not an expert so I could be off on this!). What you are describing sounds like blood clots.. were the lungs themselves the black/red color? or did it look like clots of blood? If it's blood it could be that he had a pulmonary embolism just like people get.. he could have thrown a clot and it made it to his lungs. I've had a big one myself so the description sounds like how it was explained to me in regards to how it would look. I figure most any animal with a circulatory system would be able to have blood clots/embolisms.

And his symptoms would fit, too. The weakness and lazy appearance would be from lack of oxygen to his body. I know when I had mine, I could barely stand up on my own, much less walk around a lot.

I could be wrong, but it seems like that might be what happened with him. Hopefully others will throw in their opinions as well and I'm sorry about your turkey! [​IMG]

4. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    okay thanks!! but his lungs were full of tiny dot like things all over. idk what it is. I hope it dosent spread to the rest of the turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by