Is this blackhead poop?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Moochie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    [​IMG]
    This poop is coming from my male turkey. I only have 2 turkeys, a tom and a hen, living with 7 chickens. Their area is kept pretty clean. I just recently changed their feed from 18% protein to 22%, did the feed change make his poop funny? He doesn't poop like this all the time though. Sometimes it's healthy, fertilizer worthy poops and sometimes it's this stinky yellow goopy kind. I just wanna make sure my turkeys don't have blackhead.

2. Shelshanam

Shelshanam Out Of The Brooder

I'm not an expert and fact is I don't even own a turkey yet. But I've been doing a lot of research on my path to turkey ownership and I would probably suspect your feed just due to the fact you say it's inconsistent. Seems that most turkeys that I've read about have all the symptoms pop up together such as lethargy, not eating, head drawing inwards, and the diarrhea. Fact is I think the bad poop is one of the latter symptoms from what I've read.

I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will pop in to correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed my chickens doing the same thing when I've had to substitute their feed because their brand is out, or I've fed them some rich stuff from the house.

Good luck and you might want to look up in a search what to use for suspected Blackhead just in case!

3. MCI

MCI Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Bryceville, FL
    It's not blackhead. That's cecal poop it is quite normal. It happens every several poops.

4. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Phew. Had me going there for a sec! Thank you

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  6. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Good poop chart...thanks for sharing [​IMG]

7. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Um Poop chart very helpful but totally disgusting!!!![​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

9. tahlowe

tahlowe New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    This is an old post the photos are super helpful and reassuring. Thanks!

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The *only* time I saw poop like that was in a turkey that *did* have blackhead and two peafowl had the same poop, but they had coccidiosis. The turley got better with metronidazole, but the peafowl died and were necropsied by UC Davis.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by