Is this blood in poop or intestinal lining?

JemimaP

Songster
May 24, 2018
UK
286B7ACF-C3A2-4B49-AE28-401B88F4CC90.jpeg
hi I’m new I have had my 4 Pekin Bantams for 2 weeks and they are now 9 weeks old. Just started letting them out of the run a few days ago and I just noticed this bloody poop. Or is it intestinal linings? I’ve looked at the links that show photos to compare but I’m still not sure. Poop is not runny, still firm but bright red coating?
Sorry I have posted this elsewhere I wasn’t sure of the best place. Thanks in advance.

I do know that a chicken sheds a bit of intestinal lining occasionally, but then there is coccidiosis which causes diarrhea with blood. Do your chickens seem to be feeling ok? You could watch to see if you see diarrhea with blood and watch how chickens are feeling or if you choose to treat Corid or Amprolium is a product used to treat cocciciosis. 9.5cc (approx. 2 tsp) to 1 gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. If it were me and chickens seem to be acting normally, eating normally watch for a day or so but if see any decline I would start with the meds.

Thank you. I appreciate any advice I’m so new to this it’s a bit scary. They seem fine. One is quieter than the others but doesn’t seem sad or anything. There’s no diarrhoea either.

IMG_7020.JPG

This is Rutherford the Rooster! He is the one who taught me about coccidiosis. I was raised around chickens all my life but never really paid any attention to them until I got Rutherford, he was sick when I got him.........yes you guessed correctly he had coccidiosis. That was a year ago and since then I added 4 Golden Comet hens. Rutherford was raised in a large cage in my mudroom until weather permitted us to build a coop and run. He is my man!

I managed to get some Baycox I think it’s the equivalent of corrid in the UK and started treating them tonight, there were some red poops in the run when I got home this afternoon (before starting treatment) but the chickens are still very sprightly so I’m hopeful they will be ok :)

Back
Top Bottom