Is this blood on an egg? If yes, what do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amama, Mar 31, 2016.

1. amama

amama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Midwest US
    The egg on the left looked like it has blood smeared on it, I could only find one other egg that was a bit dirty to compare to but you can see the color is more red on the left egg than the streak on the right egg, the rest of our eggs are clean.

I would assume I'm correct in thinking eggs should never have blood on them?

What does that mean, and what would be the next steps I should take?

There are 15 Black Australorp hens that are around 23 weeks old, about 4 are laying and I don't know which one laid this one obviously. They all seem healthy to me, but this is our first time having chickens so I'm not sure now.

Thank you

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Blood on the eggs of pullets who've just recently started laying is very, very common. Nothing to be concerned about :)

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's caused by the vent stretching.

4. amama

amama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Midwest US
    Poor things, I feel their pain after having several kids of my own:) Thanks for reassuring me, I wondered about that but didn't want to ignore signs of trouble.

You guys have been such a help to this newbie!

Are most of your eggs always clean, or do you all occasionally still get some poopy eggs? I have two hens that always seem to have poopy bottom feathers, and one of those is definitely one laying already.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You're welcome!

Yes, occasionally I still get an egg with a streak of poo on it. But, I get more clean eggs than dirty eggs :)

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some are dirtier than others and during the wet spring eggs can be a bit more dirty. Some of mine will poop when laying, naughty girls.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can also track dirt/poop into the nest on their feet.... try to gather eggs more often on wet days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by