Is this blood?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cotuitchickens, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cotuitchickens

cotuitchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    We have 9 chickens one is a rooster, all of them are about 5 months old and on the verge of laying an egg...about a month ago I noticed this (see pictures) under their roost in the morning. I have called multiple vets to see if someone could test a sample for parasites or disease with no luck. I figured out which one is having these and I have closely monitored her and she is healthy, eating, drinking and gaining weight. My local feed store gave me some herbal remedies to put in the water and also suggested yogurt. Which I did do. I already add apple cider vinegar to their water. I stopped noticing blood and thought things were getting better until I spotted more yesterday morning. What should I do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://chat.allotment.org/?topic=17568.0 I wonder if it is shed intestinal lining, there are pictures on the link about half way down the page. Have you treated them for worms or coccisia at all? Any vet should be able to check a stool sample like they do for dogs or cats at least for worm eggs and coccidia, if nothing else, do they just refuse the moment you say chicken?

3. cotuitchickens

cotuitchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    I have not treated them yet. I picked up a bag of Tetroxy-HCA-280 and was going to treat the entire flock but I am a little confused on the dosage instructions. and as soon as I say chicken they say no. I did think it may be the lining as well but I am not sure how often that may/should be happening.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are they all acting OK, look OK etc? Nobody is doing anything funny? I would consider worming them before they start laying since they aren't yet, if you can't find a vet to do a check, Wazine and then Valbazen is usually what people use. They are rather old to be having an outbreak of coccidia unless something else is going on, but you could treat them for that also, that is the most common cause for bloody stools in chicks, people usually use Corid to treat that. Tetroxy-HCA-280 is an antibiotic, basic link http://www.drugs.com/vet/tetroxy-hca-280.html the dosage varies by what you are wanting to treat them for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by