Is this bloody poop? 2-week old chick

Eri_Oak

Songster
Aug 5, 2020
NorCal
Hiya friends,

I have some sweet 2-week old chicks, and just now one of them pooped and it looks like it has some red in it. The chick is spunky, curious, eating and drinking.

Their water has vitamins and probiotics, and they eat a combo of fermented whole grain chick starter and dry whole grain chick starter. They have a heating plate and the brooder has been kept pretty clean and dry. They were making a huge mess of the water (bedding/poo in the reservoir) for a day/day and a half until I switched up the layout.

Thoughts on how I should proceed? This is my first batch of chickies =)

IMG_7443.jpg

The Poop Chart
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

After viewing the chart, you will see that there are many variations on what is healthy/normal and what is not.

Please bookmark the link as you will refer back to it from time to time.

Yes, I did look at that, but since this is my first flock I can't tell the difference between intestinal lining and worrisome blood. Hoping the wisdom of the forum can point me in the right direction. 🙏

Thanks, everyone!

Keeping a close eye on her. I’ve seen her have a few normal poops and is still eating and drinking normally. She seems maybe a little off but I’ll keep observing.

In the meantime I’ve rearranged the brooder so that everything is extra clean and dry, and giving them a little dried herbs and garlic powder in their food. They got their first clump of dirt yesterday too.

I’m trying to keep the birds fully organic, so if anyone has further suggestions on preventatives I’m all ears. I do have Corid on hand if I absolutely have to use it, but although I know amprolium is generally recognized as safe, it is not approved for use in organics so want to avoid it unless truly necessary.

Been reading threads like crazy the last few months. You’re all so helpful, so thank you!!

A little update on my chickies - everyone is doing great!

They had a small run in with my exuberant dog yesterday so they were a bit shaken up, but I gave them a little honey in their water last night.

This morning they are back to their spunky chickie selves! Thanks to all for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom