Is this blue or lavender?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakmallex, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Mom is a black frizzle/black australorp mix and dad is a black frizzle/quail antwerp belgian mix. They had 5 black babies, 2 yellow with stripes, 1 gray with a yellow head, and 3 of these gray babies. The gray ones are all frizzled. I don't know what color to call the gray ones though.

[​IMG]

2. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Looks like self-blue/lavender to me. It's a recessive gene that can hide under black, so both parents would both needs to have the gene hiding. Adorable! One of my favorite colors. If it was the andalusian blue gene one of the parents would have to be blue or splash.

3. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I was hoping it was lavender, it seems people love that color and might making finding homes for the little guys easier when it's time.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, one way to tell... when they get older,.... breed them to another lav and if all the babies are lav... then you have lav [​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is a quote about breeding frizzles to frizzles...you get curlies...which have fewer feather follicles.

Thus, the reason for not breeding Frizzle to Frizzle: It causes the bird to have less feather follicles and thus will cause the bird to come out with a dozen feathers and be bald over the body and intolerant of the sun or the cold weather. Curlys are a no-no in the Frizzle breeding.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  6. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    It wasn't an intentional breeding.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I love them!! A lavender frizzle! I WANT one!

8. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    You could have 2 if you were close to NC....

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I want one too, either gender, or two if they are not spoken for. Will pay shipping plus.

10. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I wasn't going to ship them. I'm just going to give them away locally. One is definitely a rooster, the other one could go either way. If she turns out to be a hen I might keep her, but I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by