Is this blue or silver?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Muscovy girl hatched out Runner eggs for me but one died during a rainstorm so I have this one growing up. It is from my Blue Runner girl with my black Runner drake. My blue Runner girl is very blue and has a few spots on her.
    So watching this one mature I am thinking blue but was not sure what silver actually looked like. Wouldn't silver be more of a white color?

And I am thinking I am hearing quacking now instead of peeping but I am hoping for a girl so it could be me! Not me quacking but rather me thinking I am hearing quacking. Just wanted to clear that up in case you all thought I was spending way too much time in the pool with the ducks![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i don't have a whole lot of experiance with ducks, but i'm thinking blue. very pretty [​IMG]:

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont know what colour she is...there are all shades of blues going into silver. I dont know about anyone else but to me the silver is more pale with a grey beak like the duck behind the brown. I have 7 babies just 3 very pale yellow with a hint of silver with grey beaks and 4 are yellow with a hint of creamy brown with a mixture of gery and orange beaks so Im wondering if she will turn out like the last 1 in my photo. What ever colours they are Ilove them both and Im glad my ducks are kicking them out. I would vote for your duck to be a silver and I have a feeling mine might turn out a silver shade like yours or lighter but not so white. We will find out in 4 weeks or so.
    Your duck is very pretty what ever colour she is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    i dont think you can get silver from black x blue, but i am NOT an expert lol. I think it is a blue [​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I am always confused by the color of ducks. I guess I don't study it enough.
    I thought perhaps silver may be more like the duck in your photo on the far left. But what do I know? [​IMG]
    It just seems that at one time someone showed me a duck and told me it was silver and I saw blue and another time someone showed me silver and I saw white.

Does silver come from breeding blue to blue if not blue to black? Again, I should study up on all this color stuff.[​IMG]

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I am always confused by the color of ducks. I guess I don't study it enough.
    I thought perhaps silver may be more like the duck in your photo on the far left. But what do I know? [​IMG]
    It just seems that at one time someone showed me a duck and told me it was silver and I saw blue and another time someone showed me silver and I saw white.

Does silver come from breeding blue to blue if not blue to black? Again, I should study up on all this color stuff.[​IMG]

from how i understand it, blue ducks have 1 dose of blue and silvers have 2 doses. so from black x blue there is only 1 dose available, and blue x blue has 2 doses available. i could be completely wrong though [​IMG]

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    When I sent a pic of Blue to Metzer Farms, they said she was silver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as a little thing
    [​IMG]

getting to that weird tween stage
    [​IMG]

still with wingletts
    [​IMG]

ducklet
    [​IMG]

I'd say you have a blue ducklet

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  8. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Whatever she is, she is darned cute!!!! [​IMG] (I really shouldn't look at the duck threads, it makes me really want a duck!!!) [​IMG]

9. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    She's blue. You cannot get silver from a cross between black and blue. Silver is like the photos from TLWR (very pretty duck BTW..... I love the black bill with the silver coloring).

10. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:No, you're right silver comes from a blue blue mating. Breeding two blue ducks, would create 50% blue, 25% silver and I think 25% black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by