1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this Blue Red Laced Wyanndotte M/F :-/

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JCK4, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JCK4

JCK4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    St Petersburg, FL
    Is she a boy or girl, your thoughts ???? So she's 17wks and she just looks slightly different then our other 4 Wyanndottes. Just not as fluffy, same height, just slightly narrower and slightly different (possibly) feathers... She hasn't shown any signs at all that she is remotely interested in crowing. We did have a Delaware sane age and 3wks ago starting crowing and was triple the size of the other 5 girls, an easily noticeable difference... I tried to take pics from all angles but she was impossible to get her to hold still today ugh...What are your much appreciated thoughts ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Yes, I believe you do have a Blue laced red wyandotte!!

3. JCK4

JCK4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    St Petersburg, FL
    I may not have worded that correctly. I know what breed she is, Im just worried she may be a he :-( my daughters going to be crushed if we have to swap another chicken out ....

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    rooster, he has alot on red on his shoulders

pictures from feathersite

this pullet has even lacing all over
    [​IMG]

rooster doesnt
    [​IMG]

5. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Yep, that's a pretty little roo.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster. Those red patches on the shoulder are quite a givaway, as is that much comb at that age. The lanky, leggy look is all boy, also.

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    100% blue laced red rooster-and he's a splash(color).

8. JCK4

JCK4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    St Petersburg, FL
    This is horrible news, that I was 80% sure I already knew and was kinda hoping mine was an exception, ha. Guess not, and now he has to go back to the farm to make more little backyard chickens, and swapped for a hen. We just went through this with a Delaware we had like 3 wks ago, ugh. Seriously thanks for your input...So in reference to the "Splash", can hens also be splash in color, and what is considered splash? Is there a certain color pattern that is regarded as such? I only ask because we have a Silver Wyanndotte that we named splash, after we were told she was a splash, and we just liked that as her name. She is only 14wks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your hens are silver laced and gold laced.

That pic FarmerChef posted is a splash laced hen.

The base color is black, like your gold laced hen. One dilution gene and you get blue, which is kinda like a gunmetal grey. Two dilutions and you get splash, that pretty light grey color.

10. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

I read your cover story, congrats by the way, and thought omg thats just like our girl! ! Hatchery bought as a part of the rare marans variety pack. However she doesn't look like the black copper so thought she could be a splash. She does have a couple feathers on her shanks. Waiting on egg color to see. Here's a pic. I have a few more on my profile page. Just thought I would share. She is also 4 mos. Great story and pics!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by