Is this Book Worth It?

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
While cleaning out the spare room to paint today, I found TWO copies of “How to Speak Chicken” which I don’t think I’ve ever read. Before I do though, I want to know if the information it provides is accurate. Because it is a “beginners chicken keeping book” I was going to give one of the copies to my new neighbor who are thinking about keeping chickens. They moved in this March, and weren’t able to start yet thanks to COVID. I’m going to read through and see what I think, but I was wondering if anyone else has read it, and I’m wondering what you think. :D

(I put this in “Managing Your Flock” since I couldn’t think of where else it could go)

I have that book! I'm pretty sure the information is accurate - it's well written and Melissa's writing style is fun and easy to understand. I wouldn't say it talks too much about How to keep chickens - but it talks a lot about chicken hierarchy, what's inside a chicken's brain, how chickens think, a whole lot more! It also shares a few 'words' in chicken - like alarm calls, egg songs, greetings, etc. So that you can understand what your chickens are saying. It also shares some really cool facts and studies on chickens! (Like how chicks can use geometry and physics! ) Melissa uses scientific studies to prove a lot of what she says, and she often interviews chicken experts to learn as much as she can. I think she also has a degree in biology or something...anyway, I personally really like the book, and it helped me better understand my chickens!

The author of "How to Speak Chicken" is the same person who has the chicken/gardening blog Tilly's Nest. you might find something on there about the book.
I have read "How to Speak Chicken" and I believe that it would be a good starter book (you should first read it yourself though.):)

The author of "How to Speak Chicken" is the same person who has the chicken/gardening blog Tilly's Nest. you might find something on there about the book.
I have read "How to Speak Chicken" and I believe that it would be a good starter book (you should first read it yourself though.):)
thanks! Hopefully my neighbors will like it (and maybe they’ll become even more tempted into the world of chickens from it!)

Back
Top Bottom