Is this broodiness/nest making?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CamiLynn, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CamiLynn

CamiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Mississippi
    I just purchased a mixed bantam/game hen and the second day we had her she went through everyone of our nexting boxes fluffing out like she was going to lay. Then she would come out and search on the ground for things and started picking up peices of hay and looking like she was trying to stuff them in her wings. She would pick -up, stuff, pick-up, stuff...though she never actually got things to "stick". I was just curious what she was doing. Shortly after she laid an egg, but didn't sit long in the box. Thanks in advance...I'm new to the chciken world, but have been loving the excitement and entertainment I get from my hens and chicks. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That is a behavior often demonstrated by laying hens and has little or nothing to do with being or going broody. It's a throwback to genetic behavior, to cover herself when she lays an egg or nests; she thinks it will hide her safely from predators, whether or not there are any. And it's not very effective. It's just something that some do.

I think they're prettying themselves up - look at me, I laid an egg! I'm special! And so very pretty!
    :lol:

(The couple of my hens which do this, do it AFTER they lay their eggs.)

3. CamiLynn

CamiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Mississippi
    Thank you and I must say it is quite entertaining to watch [​IMG] I figure it was normal behavior just wasn't sure what it meant. Thanks again, I'm learning things everyday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by