Is this broodiness? (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlheran, Dec 6, 2007.

1. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

My sweet little blue bantam pullet, Sophie, has started acting funny. Yesterday she spent most of the day in the nestbox all fluffed up, and first thing this morning that's where she was -though today she's very grouchy and actually pecked me! She is the bottom girl and is usually very timid and non-confrontational. So you experts tell me, is Sophie broody?

(might be a bit loud!)
    See Sophie in action!

I'm wondering if this could've been brought on by the removal of her flockmate Fifi, my only other female bantam? (Fifi was taken by a hawk, returned, and is in isolation recouperating) Yesterday she did finally leave the nestbox in the afternoon and roosted as normal at night. I'm wondering if Sophie should be put in with Fifi until Fifi is healed? Fifi is above Sophie in rank, so I think she wouldn't be pecked on while she heals. Do you think this would take care of the broodiness as well? It's December and I think Sophie is too young (she's about 8 months old) and small to take this on properly. Am I right?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    She looks broody to me. I have a silkie that has been broody for 2 months now and no matter what I do, I cannot break her of it yet.

3. mlheran

Quote:Yikes, two months!? She has an iron will, that one! I hope she "wakes up" soon and gets back to normal, good luck!

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Yep, I think you have a broody! She sure has the zoned-out look, irritability, and the puffed-up look. Those were the signs I saw in my broody. When they are fully into it, it is hard to break through that trance-like behavior. You may want to take away her golf balls if you want to discourage her broodiness. She sure is a cutie! [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Looks like broody behavior to me! As for putting her in with your injured bird, I don't know. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to try it out. It may help speed along the recovery. [​IMG]

If she did leave the nest box, then the broodiness was probably only temporary. (or she realized it was a golf ball and not an egg! [​IMG] )

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That hen is SOOO broody!!

I have a buff orp. that goes broody about 3 times a year (spring / summer) and she looks and acts EXACTLY like that. She sat on the nest for about 2 months this year until I stuck her in a rabbit hutch to break the broodiness.

Good luck!

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Geesh,. you all seem to have your birds go broody when you dont want them too. I cannot seem to get mine to go broody.......no fair....
    Pretty hen by the way [​IMG]

8. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Yup; that's the way Tiberius looks too! Except she has real eggs. hehe...and she doesn't bite me. But cute chicken!

9. mlheran

Thanks everyone! Sheesh, what am I going to do with this silly girl? [​IMG] I'll probably try putting her in with Fifi today or tomorrow, wish me luck!

okiechick57 -try telling yours not to go broody, the negative reinforcement just might work! [​IMG]

10. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh yes!!! Broodie it is. and so cute! Can't wait til one of mine do that!

Jacie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by